Agricultural Enterprises is a division under the Institutions Division responsible for the farming operations at Mississippi State Penitentiary (MSP) in Parchman, MS and South Mississippi Correctional Institution (SMCI) in Leakesville, MS. The majority of the farming activity takes place at MSP.
Minimum and medium custody inmates are given the opportunity to participate in the Agricultural Enterprises program each year in planting, harvesting and processing the crops. Inmates plant several kinds of fruits and vegetables which are harvested and processed to feed inmates at MDOC facilities statewide.
Some of the fruits and vegetables grown last year include:
- Butter beans
- Collard greens
- English peas
- Sweet corn
- Green beans
- Mustard Greens
- Turnip Greens
- Field Peas
- MPAE leased out 8,003.4 acres in Sunflower County and 197.0 acres in Quitman County for a total of $662,602. This represents an average rent per acre of $80.80.
- MPAE farmed 5,804 acres in Sunflower County of rice, corn, soybeans, wheat and vegetables.
- Soybean production of 77,623 bushels produced $980,370 cash.
- Wheat production of 40,201 bushles produced $266, 378 cash.
- Corn production totaled 39, 724 bushels with all bushels being delivered to the feed mill to produce chicken feed at a value of $170,422. This corn will produce approximately 1,600 tons of feed.
- The 2014 fiscal year rice crop of 100 acres produced 13,984 bushels of which 4,614 were sold for a cash price of $17,739. Approximately 10,000 bushels of the above bushels were processed for inmate consumption at a value of $62,500.
- The Feed Mill is in operation utilizing corn grown by MPAE and all feed is produced on site for the poultry operation. The Feed Mill operation produced 1,160 tons of chicken feed at a cost of $378,485.
- The poultry facility is in full production with a 24,000 layer capacity. A total of 184,590 dozen eggs were delivered to MDOC food service with a total value of $228,582.
- MPAE vegetable operation produced a total of 1,449,095 pounds of vegetables for inmate consumption on approximately 1,159 acres of land.
- MPAE processing received 1,808,860 pounds of vegetables for processing which netted a total of 1,008,403 pounds of vegetables for inmate consumption. The value of these processed vegetables based on the Atlanta market was approximately $410,253.
- Total value of food donated for inmate consumption for FY 2014 was approximately$638,835.
- MPAE has 25 acres of blueberries at the South Mississippi Correctional Institution in Green County. In FY 2014 there were 21,366 pounds of blueberries harvested that produced $26,159 in cash.
- During FY 2014 MPAE averaged working 135 inmates per month which equaled 33,750 man days. Based on 8 hours per day for 250 work days this would equate to 270,000 hours the inmates were not idle.
For additional information, contact Agricultural Enterprises.